Whether you are a beginner or a veteran on the #ZEROWASTE journey, you may be wondering, ‘What more can I do?’.
We have put together a list of #ZEROWASTE habits you can adopt and share with your friends and family. Remember, every little bit goes a long way if we all work together and adopt a #ZEROWASTE lifestyle!
- Freeze or refrigerate foods to help them last longer so you can use them at a later date.
- Make delicious vegetable stock using leftovers such as the tops, stalks and peels.
- Plan your meals for the week ahead so that you only buy the ingredients you need.
- Activate online food rescue groups to prevent throwing out leftovers.
- Use orange peels as an air freshener by placing them in the fridge to remove odours.
- Cater less food than the expected number of guests to avoid food waste, and if there are leftovers, see if your guests would like to take some home.
- Buy ‘ugly’ foods to prevent them from going to waste. They taste just as good as normal looking ones!
- You can use leftover fruits and vegetables for juices or as a baking ingredient, instead of throwing them out.
- Use crushed eggshells as fertilizer for your plants soil.
- Check for longer expiration dates before you purchase food items to reduce food being thrown out.
- Shop for groceries on a full stomach to prevent unwise food choices and overbuying.
- Take note of the expiry dates of the food in your pantry so that you can consume them before they expire to avoid having to throw them away.